Fwd: Wendiceratops posts being blocked...

Apparently no one got the earlier posts. I have tried a couple of more
times with no luck. Since this one got through, I'll see if this
Forward works without news stories and video, using the subject line
that worked.

New in PLoS ONE:

Wendiceratops, new ceratopsian from Alberta, Canada

David C. Evans &  Michael J. Ryan  (2015)
Cranial Anatomy of Wendiceratops pinhornensis gen. et sp. nov., a
Centrosaurine Ceratopsid (Dinosauria: Ornithischia) from the Oldman
Formation (Campanian), Alberta, Canada, and the Evolution of
Ceratopsid Nasal Ornamentation.
PLoS ONE 10(7): e0130007.
doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0130007
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0130007

The fossil record of ceratopsid dinosaurs between the occurrence of
their proximate sister taxa in the Turonian and the beginning of their
well-documented radiation from the late Campanian of North America
onwards (approximately 90 and 77 Ma) is poor, with only seven taxa
described from this early period in their evolution. We describe a new
taxon of a highly adorned basal centrosaurine, Wendiceratops
pinhornensis gen. et sp. nov., from the lower part of the Oldman
Formation (middle Campanian, approximately 78-79 Ma), Alberta, Canada.
Over 200 bones derived from virtually all parts of the skeleton,
including multiple well-preserved specimens of the diagnostic
parietosquamosal frill, were collected from a medium-density
monodominant bonebed, making the new taxon one of the best-represented
early ceratopsids. The new taxon is apomorphic in having epiparietals
at loci 2 and 3 developed as broad-based, pachyostotic processes that
are strongly procurved anterodorsally to overhang the posterior and
lateral parietal rami, and an ischium with a broad, rectangular distal
terminus. Although the morphology of the nasal is incompletely known,
Wendiceratops is inferred to have a large, upright nasal horn located
close to the orbits, which represents the oldest occurrence of this
feature in Ceratopsia. Given the phylogenetic position of the new
taxon within Centrosaurinae, a enlarged nasal horn is hypothesized to
have arisen independently at least twice in ceratopsid evolution.