RE: Saurischia and Ornithischia pelvis

There is no real selective advantage to the forward-pointing pubis: that is
simply the ancestral condition.

So the two major herbivorous clades approached increasing gut space in
different ways. Sauropodomorphs simply got bigger and bigger.
Ornithischians moved the pubis backwards, so they could retain a bigger gut
without size increase.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu         Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Geology 4106
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/
Phone: 301-405-9695
Fax: 301-314-9661

Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/sgc
Fax: 301-314-9843

Mailing Address:        Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                        Department of Geology
                        Building 237, Room 1117
                        University of Maryland
                        College Park, MD 20742 USA

the
> ornithischia? I was able to determine that the ornithischia pelvis allowed
> for a larger abdominal area for digestion, but what
about the