Patagosuchus, new peirosaurid (Crocodyliformes) from Late Cretaceous of Argentina

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A new online paper:

Patagosuchus anielensis (new genus, species)

Gabriel Lio, Federico L. Agnolín, Rubén Juarez Valieri, Leonardo
Filippi & Diego Rosales (2015)
A new peirosaurid (Crocodyliformes) from the Late Cretaceous
(Turonian–Coniacian) of Patagonia, Argentina.
Historical Biology (advance online publication)
DOI:10.1080/08912963.2015.1043999
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/08912963.2015.1043999#.VW3Ins9VhHw

Peirosauridae is composed of mid- to large-sized terrestrial
mesoeucrododylian crocodyliforms distributed throughout Gondwanan
landmasses. Here we describe a new peirosaurid that comes from the
upper levels of the Portezuelo Formation (Turonian–Coniacian, Upper
Cretaceous) from Loma de la Lata, Neuquén Province, Argentina. This
specimen consists of some associated bones belonging to a single
individual. In order to facilitate comparisons, we recognise two
different peirosaurid morphotypes based on skull shape: broad- and
narrow-snouted taxa. The new taxon may be related to broad-snouted
taxa, especially Gasparinisuchus peirosauroides. The new taxon here
reported has strong heterodont dentition when compared with other
peirosaurids. As in related forms, the fourth dentary tooth is
caniniform, very large, acute and transversely compressed (much more
than other peirosaurids), and the anterior dentary teeth have less
globular, sharp serrated crowns. Large interalveolar spaces are
present between both mandibular and maxillary teeth, a trait only
observed on the new taxon. With this addition, we elevate the number
of Patagonian peirosaurids to four. Moreover, it represents together
with Lomasuchus palpebrosus the second peirosaurid species described
for the Portezuelo Formation.