New Clevosaurus species in Late Triassic microvertebrate fissure fauna from UK

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A new paper. Unfortunately, I currently don't have access to the text,
so I can't supply the new Clevosaurus species name (not in the
abstract)--maybe somebody can help.

Catherine G. Klein, David I. Whiteside, Victor Selles de Lucas, Pedro
A. Viegas & Michael J. Benton (2015)
A distinctive Late Triassic microvertebrate fissure fauna and a new
species of Clevosaurus (Lepidosauria: Rhynchocephalia) from Woodleaze
Quarry, Gloucestershire, UK.
Proceedings of the Geologists' Association (advance online publication)
doi:10.1016/j.pgeola.2015.05.003
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0016787815000620

During the Late Triassic and Early Jurassic, diverse terrestrial
vertebrates were preserved in fissures formed in Carboniferous
Limestone on an island archipelago spanning from the south of Wales to
the north and south of Bristol. Here we report the faunas of two new
fissures in Woodleaze quarry, near to Tytherington quarry, where the
vertebrate fauna is already well known. The new site extends the
lateral distribution of fissures in this vicinity to over 900 m, and
fissures sampled along that transect show a southerly change in the
dominant species and a reduction in diversity. The Woodleaze fissure
fauna is nearly monofaunal, comprising >98% of a new Clevosaurus
species, as well as some Diphydontosaurus fragments, a possible
undescribed lepidosaur and a few fish fossils. The new clevosaur is
distinguished from the type species Clevosaurus hudsoni by its
dentition, and by being smaller (average long bones are 40–80% the
length of C. hudsoni). In addition, the collection also includes
individual skeletal elements that were not previously well described,
thus expanding our knowledge of clevosaur anatomy. The Woodleaze bones
are preserved as black or dark grey, rather than white, and this
preservation mode and single-species dominance occurs elsewhere only
in the Windsor Hill fissure where Oligokyphus predominates. Together
with Tytherington, this location offers an exceptional opportunity to
study a Triassic terrestrial biota across an extended distance, and to
compare near-littoral niches with more inland island habitats.