Re: birds - chocolate

On Sun, Jun 28th, 2015 at 5:19 AM, Hammer <hammeris1@att.net> wrote:

> Any cat, and 99% of the canines I've ever offered (small, very small) pieces
> of chocolate to,
> turned up their noses and ignored it. (Yes, I know about dogs and chocolate.)
>  Has anyone ever
> had a bird peck at chocolate?  Not hiding it among chicken pellets or
> something like that - more
> like they gobbled up an M&M.  Just curious - velociraptor eating the Baby
> Ruth in the novel "The
> Lost World."    :-)

Newly hatched chickens will peck at just about anything small enough to
swallow, until they learn
what is and isn't appetising. A young dromaeosaur might have had an equally
adventurous palate if
they were omnivores. If they were hyper-carnivores like felines then they may
not have payed
much attention to anything that didn't smell like an animal product.

As far as dogs and chocolate go; my family had a dog who loved chocolate, and
would eat it at
every opportunity (and lived to a ripe old age doing so). She became a
notorious chocolate thief.
She once got into a packet of chocolate-covered licorice bullets, somehow
managing to suck the
chocolate off them and spit out the licorice pieces.

Dann Pigdon