Hadrosauroid diversity on Late Cretaceous Ibero-Armorican Island

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A new paper:

Alejandro Blanco, Albert Prieto-Márquez & Soledad De Esteban-Trivigno (2015)
Diversity of hadrosauroid dinosaurs from the Late Cretaceous
Ibero-Armorican Island (European Archipelago) assessed from dentary
morphology.
Cretaceous Research 56: 447-457
doi:10.1016/j.cretres.2015.04.001
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195667115000397

A substantial part of the European record of hadrosauroid ornithopod
dinosaurs comes from the Maastrichtian (Upper Cretaceous) strata of
the south-central Pyrenees (northern Catalunya and Aragón,
northeastern Spain). Yet, our understanding on the taxonomy and
phylogenetic systematics of these animals in this region is hindered
by the lack of complete specimens, paucity of diagnostic material, and
poor preservation of the fossils. The Basturs Poble site (Lleida
Province, northern Catalunya) has yielded over 900 bones attributed to
a hadrosauroid monodominant population. The dentary is the most
common, and one of the better-preserved elements found in this
locality. Here, we evaluate the utility of dentary morphology as an
indicator of hadrosauroid taxonomic diversity. We do so via principal
component analysis, cluster analysis, and mean comparison tests of
various morphometric data from the available sample of dentaries
collected so far in the Basturs Poble locality and other Maastrichtian
sites in northeastern Spain. Three different dentary morphotypes are
recognized: two different hadrosauroids, one more derived than the
other, and one lambeosaurine type. One of the hadrosauroid morphotypes
corresponds to relatively small individuals that may represent insular
dwarf species. Concerning Basturs Poble locality, our results suggest
the coexistence of hadrosauroid and lambeosaurine dinosaurs during the
late Maastrichtian on the Ibero-Armorican Island.