Re: flight beginnings

dale mcinnes <wdm1949@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The vertical tear drop shaped pubes reminded me of the ventral stabilizers
> "keel" on ships to prevent roll. Speed boats which are highly maneuverable
> have
> virtually no keel are fast and slightly unstable were it not for the human
> unboard
> computer.

Ah, those tear drop shaped pubes... not something you hear everyday.
Whatever floats your boat, I guess.  ;-)

> Again. Elevated brain activity allowed the pubes to shift backward and out
> of the way as birds became highly maneuverable .... my guess ...

The changes to the theropod pelvis, including orientation and shape of
the pubic shaft/boot, might be more closely tied to changes in the
abdominal muscles than flight per se (e.g., Hutchinson, 2001
doi:10.1006/zjls.2000.0254; Iijoma & Kobayashi, 2014 DOI:
10.1666/13053).

Cheers
Tim