Re: Abstracts from Biennial Conference of the Palaeontological Society of Southern Africa & XIII Encuentro de J

Two decades ago, Welman (1995) used purported similarities in the
braincase to argue in favor of a  close link between _Archaeopteryx_
and _Euparkeria_ to the exclusion of theropods.  This link has been
comprehensively refuted ever since, beginning with Gower & Weber
(1998).  Nonetheless, Feduccia & co have occasionally raised this
(alleged) link between _Euparkeria_ and birds to propose an
alternative to a theropod origin of birds (e.g., Feduccia, 2002 in
_The Auk_, where he deliberately and speciously misquotes GSP).  To be
honest, I had thought the _Euparkeria_-based hypothesis of a basal
archosauriform origin of birds had largely evaporated.  The abstract
by Welman and James seems very retro...