RE: Giant Saurophaganax humerus?

That's 14 years ago, but what I think I did was use the scale bar in Chure
(1995; fig. 2), which results in a length of ~545 mm.  Then I determined this
was 1.76 times the size of Allosaurus' proposed neotype USNM 4734, which was
listed in Paul (1988) as 7.4 meters long.  1.76 times 7.4 m is 13 m.

As that was almost half my life ago, I've become a bit wiser since then.  Maybe
the scale bar is wrong, in which case the humerus wasn't so long.  Instead of
being 51% of the femur, 485 mm would be 46%.  Three Allosaurus specimens with
reported lengths have ratios of 39-43%, so that would be closer.  Or maybe
(that) Saurophaganax just had longer arms than (measured) Allosaurus.  Finally,
it should be noted that most of USNM 4734's tail is missing, and specimens with
more complete tails haven't been described or measured in the literature, so
Paul's allosaurid length measurement might be inaccurate.

Mickey Mortimer