Re: Spinosaurus dorsal sail function riddle

The authors do consider submersion versus surface swimming - but only by using
the most simple of scaling regimes (essentially lumping all semiaquatic
vertebrates together and saying that the lung volume follows isometry, more or
less). I was particularly interested in their hypothesis of a “hydrodynamic
fulcrum” function for the sail (mostly because, I admit, I was immediately
skeptical).

The entirety of that argument turns out to be this:

"While smaller dorsal sails or fins make the dorsal water volume better
accessible for slashing, it can be speculated that their smaller stabilization
effect makes lateral slashing less efficient (e.g. for thresher sharks).
Forming a hydrodynamic fulcrum and hydrodynamically stabilizing the trunk along
the dorsoventral axis, Spinosaurus’ sail would also have compensated for the
inertia of the lateral neck by tail movements and vice versa not only for
predation but also for accelerated swimming. This behaviour might also have
been one reason for Spinosaurus’ muscular chest and neck reported by Ibrahim et
al. (2014).”

Cheers,

—Mike