RE: Lepidocheirosaurus, new Jurassic ornithomimosaur from Siberia in Russia

It's more than just the authors' record.  This

 Lepidocheirosaurus is "based [on] manus fragments, caudal vertebrae,
and imprints of horn scales", and Alifanov (2014) stated theropods at
the Kulindadromeus locality "are
usually represented by articulated distal caudal vertebrae. The
collection also includes a plate with imprints of phalanges and with
fragments (lacking the proximal part) of three metacarpals of a single
individual. At present these fossils cannot be identified more
precisely than Theropoda fam. indet."  His figure 2b of "PIN, no.
5435/51a, caudal vertebrae of
theropod (Theropoda indet.) in association with skin scales" is pretty
obviously Kulindadromeus, with its distinctive overlapping dorsal
scales.  Alifanov further states "One type comprises fossilized horny
scales of theropods. In the area of caudal vertebrae, these scales are
subrectangular (Fig. 2b), while in the hand they are trapezoid or
sickleshaped."  Lepidocheirosaurus means "hand scale saurian", which
would match the latter specimen.  Godefroit et al. describe "Smaller
(<1 mm) rounded and nonoverlapping scales" around the manus and pes
of Kulindadromeus.  Note Alifanov and Saveliev state Lepidocheirosaurus
is similar to Nqwebasaurus, which has a fragmentary and undescribed
tail, but whose pes (or even fragmentary manus) might be confused with a
 hypsilophodont-grade ornithischian pes such as Kulindadromeus'.  As the
 previous supposed Theropoda indet. is based on the same bones as
Lepidocheirosaurus, it seems incredibly likely it's based on the same
specimens as well, at least one of which is Kulindadromeus and the other
 which plausibly is.  Godefroit et al. (2014) reported that besides
Kulindadromeus, only a single shed theropod tooth was found in the
bonebeds, so that while theropod postcrania are possible at Kulinda,
they are unprecedented.  Thus I think all the evidence makes it probable
 Lepidocheirosaurus is a junior synonym of Kulindadromeus, even without
seeing the paper.

Mickey Mortimer

-------