Re: Why non-avian dinosaurs weren't able to survive

On Tue, Nov 24th, 2015 at 3:11 PM, Ruben Safir <ruben@mrbrklyn.com> wrote:

> Well, breathing in ash, and soot through that 20 foot long neck and then
> needed to eat nearly all day to maintain your bodysize while the plant
> life was dieing all around you and not regenerating might have put the
> Sauropods to their death pretty darn quick through an easy enough to
> understand mechanism.

That's precisely what I suggested; each genus, family or superfamily likely had
it's own fatal set of
circumstances that were different to those of other genera, families or
superfamilies. A large
sauropod living close to the bolide impact site would have faced different
stresses than a small
theropod on the other side of the world.

There's no single blanket hypothesis that can completely account for all
extinctions at the end of
the Cretaceous - probably not ever for all of the dinosauria specifically.
Therefore the answer to
the original question posed in this thread is; "there's no single answer".
Non-avian dinosaurs were
simply too diverse and widespread to have all be done in by a single defining
event. Each species,
genus, family, etc likely had a different tale of woe to tell.

Dann Pigdon