RE: Graphic request - plain text this time.

One difficulty is that the relationships of ichthyosaurs and
sauropterygians--to each other and to other clades, extinct and extant--is
among the most contentious in vertebrate systematics. It is on par with--and
indeed sometimes related to--the eternal quest to find the position of turtles.
(BTW, new information on that forthcoming: let's just say that turtles as
crown-saurians is not yet finally solidified!)

One of the most extensive recent studies with the broadest sampling of relevant
taxa was the Cartorhynchus paper
(http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v517/n7535/full/nature13866.html). In
this paper, using the tree using all the characters, there is a clade of
thallatosaurs +((ichthyosaurs + hupehsuchians) + (saurophargids +
sauropterygians)), collectively the sister taxon to the rest of
Archosauromorpha.

Although the Pappochelys paper did not include as diverse a sampling of taxa as
did this one, it did find Sauopterygia as the sister group to Pappochelys +
Testudinata, but as the sister taxon to other Lepidosauromorpha rather than as
the basalmost archosauromorph clade. (No ichthyosaurs in that analysis,
however.)

One possibility is to show a graph with a four-way split at the base of Sauria:
Archosauromorpha (show some birds, other dinosaurs, pterosaurs, crocs),
Testudinata (show sea turtles, and some turtles), Euryapsida (show
ichthyosaurs, placodonts, plesiosaurs), and Lepidosauromorpha (show snakes,
mosasaurs, other lizards).

I don't know if such a graphic yet exists, but perhaps someone reading this
could whip one up.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu         Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Geology 4106, 8000 Regents Dr., College Park MD 20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/
Phone: 301-405-6965
Fax: 301-314-9661

Office: Centreville 1216, 4243 Valley Dr., College Park MD 20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/sgc
Fax: 301-314-9843

                        Department of Geology
                        Building 237, Room 1117