RE: [dinosaur] New Konzhukovia species (temnospondyl) from Permian of South America + Early Triassic polar coprolites + more papers

Apparently the misunderstanding where authors think family-level groups can't
be based on nomina dubia extends to non-dinosaurian taxa as well.  In this
case, Tryphosuchinae/idae should stand, as Tryphosuchus is still within that
clade.  Indeed, the authors recovered Tryphosuchus in a particular spot in
their cladogram, so it can't be undiagnostic.  It has to differ from the
various Konzhukovia species in certain characters, or else it would create a
polytomy among them.  The authors then state "An alternative solution would be
erecting a new combination for this taxon, namely Konzhukovia paucidens, due to
its assignment to Konzhukovia."  Well, no.  Tryphosuchus paucidens was named in
1955, while Konzhukovia was named in 1991, so you could not have that
combination without an ICZN petition.  It's as if these people have never heard
of the ICZN.  And this is in the Journal of Systematic Palaeontology!  Where
were the peer reviewers and editors?

Mickey Mortimer