RE: [dinosaur] New Konzhukovia species (temnospondyl) from Permian of South America + Early Triassic polar coprolites + more papers

From: dinosaur-l-request@usc.edu [mailto:dinosaur-l-request@usc.edu] On Behalf Of Anthony
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 6:05 AM

> > It doesn't mean we have to include Deinodon in an analysis, only that we have to use evidence to place it somewhere in a phylogeny. Maybe that would be morphometric evidence, as that's commonly used based on expansions of Smith's tooth
> > measurement sample. Of course adding Deinodon to a phylogenetic analysis is itself scientifically interesting- to tell us something quantitative about where it belongs in the tree of life.
>
> As we all know, _Deinodon_ is known from a handful of teeth that Leidy
> decided to dignify with a name. The fact that _Deinodon_ has a name
> is the only reason it gets any attention at all. I'm not certain how
> "scientifically" interesting plugging it into an analysis would be. I
> suspect it might be a grand waste of time.

>Wait...are teeth no longer considered adequate to distinguish one species or genus from

>another?

In this case, yes. Nature isn’t about absolutes. Teeth can be diagnostic to the species level in one part of the tree and pretty much useless in taxonomy in another part.

> Jocelyn Falconnet <j.falconnet@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If we have to forget names based on nomina dubia... what about
> > ceratopsians and other Ceratops-derived names ?
>
> We're only talking about coordinated family-level names
> (superfamily/-oidea, family/-idae, subfamily/-inae, tribe/-ini).

>that seems rather arbitrary...why stop there?  if we're supposed to give that up on Family-level, > why not on the other levels too?

It is arbitrary, but that is where the rules of the ICZN ended.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu         Phone: 301-405-4084

Office: Geology 4106, 8000 Regents Dr., College Park MD 20742

http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/

Phone: 301-405-6965
Fax: 301-314-9661

Office: Centreville 1216, 4243 Valley Dr., College Park MD 20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/sgc
Fax: 301-314-9843

Mailing Address:        Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                        Department of Geology
                        Building 237, Room 1117

                        8000 Regents Drive
                        University of Maryland