It would be very surprising if all herbivorous dinosaurs habitually ignored these inanimate gifts of protein.

Ingestion could even be accidental, occurring while drinking, or eating aquatic plants - no specialized dental adaptations required...

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 9:54, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
<tholtz@geology.umd.edu> wrote:
This is an interesting hypothesis, but let us not forget the possibility
that the fish in the belly could be post-mortem associations. (After
all, finding a gar in the belly of a hadrosaur is not evidence of
piscivory in duckbills!)

On 2016-08-28 09:46, Brian Lauret wrote:

> I think it is worth mentioning that according to Victoria Arbour, who
> researches ankylosaurs, Little L's plastron is actually misidentified
> belly scales (see https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__pseudoplocephalus.com_2014_04_02_scaling-2Dup_&d=DQICAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=Ry_mO4IFaUmGof_Yl9MyZgecRCKHn5g4z1CYJgFW9SI&m=ls3_qEyVOCCJjjGHPq-2jZenRkmxvhyvYrseiF2u8eI&s=k3Pduly9AngRzJfsGQ8IL68PPrWDNLQZxYaP3R2QK0Y&e=
> [2]). I have no opinion on the matter.

Arbor provides a close up photo of the supposed armor on that link. Note
that it is NOT like the plastron of a turtle or the belly armor of some
placodonts. I strongly suspect that she is correct. (And this probably
IS the case of the remarkable preservation you refer to in the next
paragraph).

> Lastly and most out there, an aquatic _Liaoningosaurus_ might also be
> an alternative explanation for its lack of preserved integument if
> this was actually a derived, naked-bodied ornithischian that had lost
> all integument because of adapting said lifestyle. Does the critter
> hail from rocks that preserve soft tissue impressions, most notably
> feathers, or is this a moot suggestion of mine anyway?

It is from the Yixian, but keep in mind that preservation in any
unit--even across the same bedding plane on a meter-scale--can be
radically different. (These sites are remarkable because they CAN
preserve fine details, not because they MUST preserve them. :-) ).

--
Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu        Phone: 301-405-4084

Office: Centreville 1216, 4243 Valley Dr., College Park MD 20742
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.geol.umd.edu_sgc&d=DQICAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=Ry_mO4IFaUmGof_Yl9MyZgecRCKHn5g4z1CYJgFW9SI&m=ls3_qEyVOCCJjjGHPq-2jZenRkmxvhyvYrseiF2u8eI&s=1xgR7YdzE9FmroM1MDu2nHHxrVDpGr7vStvpCnXwz1Q&e=
Fax: 301-314-9843

Mailing Address:
Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Department of Geology