[dinosaur] Regarding Art Theft

Hey. A quick note to researchers looking for art for posters and press releases: Please do not use artwork without asking the artist's permission. This study naming the new Antarctic mosasaur Kaikafilu (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195667116303123) uses a traced version of my Tylosaurus reconstruction (http://ashere.deviantart.com/art/Tylosaurus-332778260). No attempt was made to contact me, no permission was requested, and frankly, the traced art looks pretty terrible in the bargain.

For the love of god, guys. Find the artist and contact them! Most will be willing to license the art to you as long as you give due credit or negotiate a fee. Please do not trace over art found online and put it in your press release. It's super unprofessional and insulting.

Best,

Asher