Re: [dinosaur] Regarding Art Theft

Thi is not an issue of copyright law, it's an issue of treating
creators of content ethically and with respect. If I create a digital
painting and publicize its availability online, that is in now way an
invitation to grab it, use it in a paper, and then put that paper
behind a paywall. What that publisher is doing is taking what is
essentially a product I had put online for sale and/or promotion of my
other art, claimed it as their own and charged for it. Even if the
original art was, by mistake or intentionally, re-uploaded and
modified as Creative Commons, to then charge for it as this journal is
doing is a clear violation of that license.

As you are clearly a proponent of open-source science, it is baffling
to me how you can defend what has happened here. I could sort of see
your argument if this was an open journal, but it's not, and they
didn't even bother to give the artist credit, let alone a cut of the
fee they're currently charging for his work.

--Matt Martyniuk