From: Ruben Safir <ruben@mrbrklyn.com>
To: dinosaur-l <dinosaur-l@mymaillists.usc.edu>
Sent: Sun, Dec 4, 2016 12:40 am
Subject: Re: [dinosaur] How many end-Cretaceous dinosaur genera were there

On 12/04/2016 12:14 AM, Ruben Safir wrote:
> On 12/03/2016 10:53 PM, Mike Habib wrote:
>> There are about 11,000 species of named living bird species, but I wouldn't use that as a gauge for the likely number of non-avian dinosaurs at any time interval. Species density within clades is always highly uneven.
>>

> Mike, think about it. The earth was richer then. How many mammals are
> there now?

According to Mammal Species of the World, 5,416 species were known in
2006. These were grouped in 1,229 genera, 153 families and 29 orders

from wikipedia...

and I bet that is a severe underestimate of the number of mammal species
alive today.

I have no idea how they get 628 to 1076 but if it is based on the
thought that we have anything near a complete image of the fauna from 70
million years ago (after a comet smashed a huge hole into the earths
crust the size of the midwest), then I think you need to reconsider.

and who said birds weren't to count as dinosaurs. think about how many
species were discovered just since you have entered the field. And you
have lost whole continents.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.mrbrklyn.com&d=DgIC-g&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=JMxjjbIZXCWilersPs1bzRx-3mUwTiQUzlyzWk7v7k4&m=7ohZfSSl11tsX_CUI1LyhtYQnTev3k86CLV5p2R2e6s&s=xIB-TXj_M1vYupzWBpEBLqlJINs5POArFEHAN4roSp0&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.nylxs.com&d=DgIC-g&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=JMxjjbIZXCWilersPs1bzRx-3mUwTiQUzlyzWk7v7k4&m=7ohZfSSl11tsX_CUI1LyhtYQnTev3k86CLV5p2R2e6s&s=_9j9X6JYpBA4iVZmR8XT69w8vXSUA5ps4ptU6UEqooQ&e= - Leadership Development in Free Software
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www2.mrbrklyn.com_resources&d=DgIC-g&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=JMxjjbIZXCWilersPs1bzRx-3mUwTiQUzlyzWk7v7k4&m=7ohZfSSl11tsX_CUI1LyhtYQnTev3k86CLV5p2R2e6s&s=5fxbm-g7vGSvItbP-jL7TRKBU9BVMcXjO54m6xUHLIw&e= - Unpublished Archive
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.coinhangout.com&d=DgIC-g&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=JMxjjbIZXCWilersPs1bzRx-3mUwTiQUzlyzWk7v7k4&m=7ohZfSSl11tsX_CUI1LyhtYQnTev3k86CLV5p2R2e6s&s=NaTZRIOaO7wMKbd0BeTXV7SOnWhrNNTYArT2XGf1OSc&e= - coins!
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.brooklyn-2Dliving.com&d=DgIC-g&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=JMxjjbIZXCWilersPs1bzRx-3mUwTiQUzlyzWk7v7k4&m=7ohZfSSl11tsX_CUI1LyhtYQnTev3k86CLV5p2R2e6s&s=nX4heLfDAk9RS2OZzgNFPPcl2I557Hb8D42tzR3f2eQ&e=