Eocene high-diversity crocodylian assemblage of Geiseltal-Fossillagerstätte, Germany

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

I'm sending this non-dino item as a bit of an experiment.

Alexander K. Hastings and Meinolf Hellmund (2016)
Evidence for prey preference partitioning in the middle Eocene
high-diversity crocodylian assemblage of the
Geiseltal-Fossillagerstätte, Germany utilizing skull shape analysis.
Geological Magazine (advance online publication)
DOI:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__dx.doi.org_10.1017_S0016756815001041&d=CwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=x82f3Wlkwtmbr1z8IAt9jA&m=BquvNe_vI7ruh00NP0YSxARBsqyYvZmgetiXNJ8kbQY&s=r4l6TVmNTqyiuFHg1GFTtURhE5uxB5-maP5bCe8JzeY&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__128.232.233.5_action_displayAbstract-3FfromPage-3Donline-26aid-3D10171417-26fulltextType-3DRA-26fileId-3DS0016756815001041&d=CwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=x82f3Wlkwtmbr1z8IAt9jA&m=BquvNe_vI7ruh00NP0YSxARBsqyYvZmgetiXNJ8kbQY&s=UYjzEd_xSB8iitNJDIUZHRgQ3UdF54yfdfLgvDMxR4k&e=

Broken-up string:

http:      //
128.232.233.5/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=10171417&fulltextType=RA&fileId=S0016756815001041

The Geiseltal fossil collection from southern Sachsen-Anhalt Germany
contains remarkably well-preserved fossils of middle Eocene age. These
include several crocodylian skulls, representing at least four
different genera with a fifth genus represented by two mandibular
rami. As sites with this many crocodylian genera are unknown in modern
ecosystems, it has been hypothesized that these crocodylians may have
differences in habit as compared to living crocodylians. In order to
test similarities between the Geiseltal crocodylians and extant
species, an analysis was conducted using geometric morphometrics to
quantify shape in crocodylian skulls of all living species (n = 218)
and all well-preserved crocodylian skulls of the Geiseltal fauna (n =
28). A relative warps analysis was used to quantify and compare skull
shape, revealing Allognathosuchus and Boverisuchus to be very distinct
from each other as well as from Asiatosuchus and Diplocynodon. Overlap
in shape alone exists between some Diplocynodon and some Asiatosuchus,
but there was significant difference in adult size. When compared with
extant crocodylians, three Geiseltal genera occupied distinctly
non-modern morphospace in the first two relative warps axes.
Comparison of the diets of living crocodylians with similarly shaped
skulls was used to reconstruct the prey preferences of the Geiseltal
crocodylians, revealing differences in specialization. During the
middle Eocene high global temperatures, partitioning of prey
preference may have allowed this group to attain its higher than usual
diversity, reducing the amount of direct competition.

===

After some experimenting and checking the DML archive website, it
appears that the url link reroutes through urldefense.proofpoint.com
started on Tuesday Feb. 2, 2016, and apparently come from the DML
itself rather than from my computer.  When I sent the links, they
looked normal.  If I send the posts as gmail to my other email
addresses, they also look normal. I appears they were altered as they
were processed through the servers for the DML. I don't know if this
is also happening with url links in posts to VRTPALEO.

Here's what the website for the reroute service says:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__support.proofpointessentials.com_index.php-3F_Knowledgebase_Article_View_170_34_url-2Ddefense-2Dfaqs&d=CwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=x82f3Wlkwtmbr1z8IAt9jA&m=BquvNe_vI7ruh00NP0YSxARBsqyYvZmgetiXNJ8kbQY&s=7aG3coMRUqxMcWQ2xBgRdgHKJQypDTl2wbHrlJ9q8mk&e=

Q. What happens when a user clicks on a re-written URL?
The user is redirected to the Proofpoint URL Defense service where the
URL and website is analyzed.
If the URL is considered bad: The user will be shown a page informing
them "The website has Been Blocked!".
If the URL is considered good: The user will be re-directed to the website.
*****
I suppose this is some kind of security change. However, I am not
sending phishing links, so I think the reroutes are unnecessary and
the extra coding clogs up the pages.  Can this be changed back?
Otherwise, I may break up the url link strings to prevent the reroute.
People who use the link will need to put it back together.

Do the rerouted url links bother other people? They appear to work
normally, but make deciphering the basic link string more complicated.
If you follow the rerouted link, you can get to the unaltered link.
Maybe I should post two versions of the links--a direct link that will
be rerouted and a broken-up string where the original unaltered link
can be reconsituted. This approach is a bit complicated, but I tried
it on the article above.