Re: Jurassic butterflies

I've been lucky enough to see many of these specimens in person as they were being studied at the Smithsonian. Exquisite preservation and amazing convergence with butterflies.

On 2016-02-10 18:56, Richard W. Travsky wrote:
Don't think I've seen this mentioned; it's pretty cool.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__&d=CwIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=x82f3Wlkwtmbr1z8IAt9jA&m=ZIhQjDIJ2HeC0exZT1zQcsDeHIR3rnMsGks4c55ZSTs&s=qj1MClMZPIT-XCI4PTrTW0odSHddsUD68WLcixo6Ybo&e=
 rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/283/1824/20152893

The evolutionary convergence of mid-Mesozoic lacewings and Cenozoic butterflies

Abstract

Mid-Mesozoic kalligrammatid lacewings (Neuroptera) entered the fossil
record 165 million years ago (Ma) and disappeared 45 Ma later. Extant
papilionoid butterflies (Lepidoptera) probably originated 80–70 Ma,
long after kalligrammatids became extinct. Although poor preservation
of kalligrammatid fossils previously prevented their detailed
morphological and ecological characterization, we examine new,
well-preserved, kalligrammatid fossils from Middle Jurassic and Early
Cretaceous sites in northeastern China to unravel a surprising array
of similar morphological and ecological features in these two,
unrelated clades. We used polarized light and epifluorescence
photography, SEM imaging, energy dispersive spectrometry and
time-of-flight secondary ion mass spectrometry to examine
kalligrammatid fossils and their environment. We mapped the evolution
of specific traits onto a kalligrammatid phylogeny and discovered that
these extinct lacewings convergently evolved wing eyespots that
possibly contained melanin, and wing scales, elongate tubular
proboscides, similar feeding styles, and seed–plant associations,
similar to butterflies. Long-proboscid kalligrammatid lacewings lived
in ecosystems with gymnosperm–insect relationships and likely accessed
bennettitalean pollination drops and pollen. This system later was
replaced by mid-Cretaceous angiosperms and their insect pollinators.

--
Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.geol.umd.edu_sgc&d=CwIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=x82f3Wlkwtmbr1z8IAt9jA&m=IcuGbEy1rghhpF9Nl3F7Imt38VxRdGPmfcpGXJrKwr8&s=WxqCmvee4YXuvgUYermf0HQniDPCkFgzlYCyVGfHfqM&e= Fax: 301-314-9843

                        Department of Geology
                        Building 237, Room 1117
                        University of Maryland
                        College Park, MD 20742 USA