Re: Jurassic butterflies

Very cool.  The purpose of the eye-spots was to deter or deceive
predators - presumably pterosaurs and small theropods (including early
birds).  Kalligrammatids were quite large by insect standards (body
length > 50 mm), likely poor fliers, and often loaded with sweet
pollen; so they were probably vulnerable to predators.

More info here:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.sciencedaily.com_releases_2016_02_160203134942.htm&d=CwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=x82f3Wlkwtmbr1z8IAt9jA&m=mOijKiVa16z9-jQqV3A_scqRfCRW7xbpZVd3BXki1hY&s=jKhb1Yzwi0DEtPx8WIowRoZOlWdCPsFoS4q5Hej42GM&e=