Re: DML URLs FUBAR

On Fri, Feb 12th, 2016 at 3:18 PM, Ben Creisler <bcreisler@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to clarify again why I think it's a good idea to provide
> un-rewritten and un-directed urls by separating the strings...
>
> The DML has an archive that serves as a resource. Citing the original
> urls rather than rewritten urls that depend on a commercial service
> (that might go out of business or be dropped at some point by usc) I
> think is a good idea. Plus the rewritten urls take up multiple lines
> of text...
>
> For now, the rewritten url links work OK, but I don't think they
> deserve to be archived.

Perhaps we should add both versions of the URL; one that is clickable for
convenience (for as long as Proof Point continues to
exist), and a second non-clickable one that is legible and possibly more
future-proof (or at least citable from a historic perspective).
Given how fast the internet changes, there's no guarantee that any particular
URL will remain functional for any length of time
(Proof Point or otherwise).

Example:

http: // dml.cmnh.org
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__dml.cmnh.org&d=CwIDAw&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=x82f3Wlkwtmbr1z8IAt9jA&m=iSc6q3lKzru_ztZYFXubJgPzWEKrR9LCWO749xWEThI&s=VJwMgtHiZsMHqfPr9SkTSVcPJ1AiVAI1Jj5eyV3kQkU&e=

Dann Pigdon
Melbourne, Australia
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__home.alphalink.com.au_-7Edannj&d=CwIDAw&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=x82f3Wlkwtmbr1z8IAt9jA&m=iSc6q3lKzru_ztZYFXubJgPzWEKrR9LCWO749xWEThI&s=lmcCzIO57k7yWv0L2VrYeuS_x3DoITaoK0HbmCSgwAo&e=