Re: Dilophosaurus Forelimb Bone Maladies

The authors propose that during the long healing period, the use of
the forelimbs by this smashed-up _Dilophosaurus_  was severely
compromised.  But it wasn't fatal.  This supports the interpretation
that theropod forelimbs were not all that useful for predation - even
when the forelimbs were healthy and undamaged.  Although often quite
strong and/or robust, theropod forelimbs had limited reach and the
manus often had fairly mediocre grasping abilities (especially for
small theropods that were supposedly arboreal).  So it's no surprise
(to me) that so many theropods reduced their forelimbs (carnotaurines
effectively lost them altogether), or turned them to other purposes,
such as display or locomotion (with display perhaps leading into
aerial locomotion in a couple of lineages).