Re: Dilophosaurus Forelimb Bone Maladies

Predation isn't the only (or even most likely) way to accumulate injuries,
however. Furthermore, this animal did not have a single major injury that it
managed to survive during healing. It accumulated numerous injuries, each of
which would have compromised the forelimbs for a period of time. We can at
least say that the forelimbs were not necessary for predation (otherwise these
injuries would have been lethal).

Given the additional anatomical evidence against forelimb use in predation
among theropods, it seems simplest to conclude that the forelimbs just weren't
used to catch prey for the most part. This makes sense, after all: something
like Dilophosaurus could easily just grab a prey item in its jaws and swallow
it; strange circumstances are needed to get the forelimbs involved.

Cheers,

--Mike H

Sent from my Cybernetic Symbiote