Re: Dilophosaurus Forelimb Bone Maladies

On Sat, Feb 27th, 2016 at 2:53 AM, Mike Habib <biologyinmotion@gmail.com> wrote:

> Predation isn't the only (or even most likely) way to accumulate injuries,
> however. Furthermore, this animal did not have a single major injury that it
> managed to survive during healing. It accumulated numerous injuries, each of
> which would have compromised the forelimbs for a period of time. We can at
> least say that the forelimbs were not necessary for predation (otherwise
> these injuries would have been lethal).

That makes the assumption that the animal in question survived because it
continued to engage in active predation.
Another possibility is that it was forced by its injuries to be an obligate
scavenger in order to survive. Yet another
possibility is that dilophosaurs formed close social bonds with each other that
allowed an incapacitated animal to
continue to benefit from the prey acquisition of the rest of the group.

Dann Pigdon
Melbourne, Australia
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__home.alphalink.com.au_-7Edannj&d=CwIDAw&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=x82f3Wlkwtmbr1z8IAt9jA&m=Ym4Ni3pTJfym8rlWVo3GDpl71fv5kVHZ6r525_aRxag&s=Tp79cEqrCg9EqUb12zZuHuumsl0tsLK5zjyFxnFURV0&e=