Tiantai(o)saurus Dong et al. 2007, missed Chinese therizinosaur?

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

Checking the web for recent refs in Chinese, I came across a dinosaur
I had not heard of before and that I am still trying to find the
original citation for.

Here's what I have so far, so in case someone knows more I will not
spend extra time in the search. It's not in Mickey's theropod database
with either spelling.

The dinosaur Tiantaisaurus is mentioned and pictured in this paper,
which can be downloaded at the link.

QIAN Mai-ping, ZHANG Zong-yan, JIANG Yang, JIANG Yan-gen, ZHANG
Yuan-jun, CHEN Rong & XING Guang-fu (2012)
Cretaceous Therizinosaurs in Zhejiang of eastern China.
Journal of Geology 36 (4): 337-348
http://www.journalofgeology1977.com/ch/reader/view_abstract.aspx?file_no=20120401&flag=1

pdf :

http://www.journalofgeology1977.com/ch/reader/create_pdf.aspx?file_no=20120401&flag=&journal_id=dzxk&year_id=2012

Some fossil skeletons of Therizinosauridae dinosaurs were found in
Cretaceous Zhongdai and Laijia Formations in Tiantai, Zhejiang
Province. It was proved that their distribution areas were spread in
Mongolia, Kazakhstan, western area in North America, and northern,
northeastern, southern and eastern areas in China. According to the
fossils found and studies for over a century, the puzzled
paleontologists by the confusing animals for many years discovered and
revealed gradually their evolution course, that was evolved
successfully from carnivore to mainly vegetarian, or probably both,
became euryphagous dinosaurs. The dinosaurs were distributed widely in
various environments during Cretaceous period. The pneumaticity in
vertebrae of Tiantaisaurus sifengensis found in Tiantai Basin of
Zhejiang Province in eastern China suggested that the dinosaurs with
big creatures were not bulky and their vertebrae was similar to that
of the present birds. Although the pneumaticity of vertebrae of
dinosaurs could not determine its acting respiratory system like
present birds, yet it undoubtedly benefited the creatures' weight loss
and enhanced its flexibility of activity. Then, it could be confirmed
that many dinosaurs and birds were closely related during their
evolution.

===

The dinosaur was discussed in a short article in an earlier issue of
the same Chinese journal, but with the name spelled Tiantaiosaurus. I
can't find a pdf online at the moment.

QIAN Mai-ping (2011)
Chinese Dinosaur Spectrum (60) - [Shifeng Tiantai dragon]
(Tiantaiosaurus sifengensis Dong, et al, 2007)
Journal of Geology, 2011,35 (4): (pg?)

A dinosaur skeleton fossil was found in the upper part of the upper
Cretaceous of the county, Zhejiang Province, on 2005, including 12
cervical vertebrae, 9 dorsal vertebrae, 28 caudal vertebrae, 13 dorsal
ribs, and the deformed pelvis and hind legs. Although the missing
skull, sacral, forelegs and feet, but still so far found in Zhejiang
the most complete dinosaur skeleton fossils. 2007, Chinese Academy of
Sciences Dong Zhiming and other relevant departments of experts...

http://www.qianluntianxia.com/journal/522/2033272.html

==

So far, I can't find the citation Dong et al., 2007 that contains the
original description. It's not given in the article at the top
unfortunately. It would be good to know how to spell the name as
well...

===

It turns out that the Chinese journal Journal of Geology has had a
number of dinosaur-related articles over the years that may have been
overlooked. I'll do a post to help catch up. Unfortunately, pdfs are
hard to find for the articles.