Fwd: Tyrannosaurs as long-lived species (free pdf)

Apparently blocked. I'll try again...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ben Creisler <bcreisler@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 8:30 AM
Subject: Tyrannosaurs as long-lived species (free pdf)
To: dinosaur@usc.edu

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A new paper in open access:

Byung Mook Weon (2016)
Tyrannosaurs as long-lived species.
Scientific Reports 6, Article number: 19554 (2016)
doi:10.1038/srep19554
http://www.nature.com/articles/srep19554

Biodemographic analysis would be essential to understand population
ecology and aging of tyrannosaurs. Here we address a methodology that
quantifies tyrannosaur survival and mortality curves by utilizing
modified stretched exponential survival functions. Our analysis
clearly shows that mortality patterns for tyrannosaurs are seemingly
analogous to those for 18th-century humans. This result suggests that
tyrannosaurs would live long to undergo aging before maximum
lifespans, while their longevity strategy is more alike to big birds
rather than 18th-century humans.