Re: Question about a sauropod cladistic character

Rescuing from truncation.

John D'Angelo wrote:

I have recently been reading about sauropod phylogeny, and I found a
phylogenetic character that confuses me.

Many cladistic analyses of sauropods contain some form of the
character "Femoral distal condyles, relative transverse breadth:
subequal (0); tibial much broader than fibular (1)." However, as far
as I can tell, nearly every taxon coded for the latter state (tibial
condyle much broader than fibular condyle) appears to have a wider
fibular condyle than tibial condyle, such as in Giraffatitan and
Rapetosaurus. Could anyone here who knows something about sauropod
cladistics help clear this up for me?

Thanks in advance for any help!