From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu] on behalf of Tony
Thulborn [paswamp@y7mail.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2016 3:48 AM
To: Dinosaur Mailing List
Subject: Re:  Dinosaur speed estimates

Déjà vu?

This ancient document will give you estimates for 62 dinosaurs (51 genera),
based on skeletal measurements supplemented (where feasible) with evidence of
tracks:

Thulborn, R. A., 1982. Speeds and gaits of dinosaurs. Palaeogeogr.,
Palaeoclimatol., Palaeoecol., 38: 227--256.  Not hard to find online.

For each animal there are estimates of speed (a) at walk-trot transition;  (b)
at trot-run transition;  (c) at maximum.

And (principally for benefit of sensationalist news media) speed isn’t all that
matters, anyway.  A human can run a lot faster than a mouse - but have you ever
tried to catch a mouse?

Back to the swamp,
Tony Thulborn