Re: [dinosaur] Montana sauropod excavation + ankylosaurs + Pelagornis flight + Cretaceous polar amber + more

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

My policy on collecting news stories or articles is  largely just to pass things on without comment. So even if I disagree about the ideas in a paper or have issues with a new story, I'll post it anyway. DML members, of course, are free to comment or criticize, barring personal attacks.

In the case of commercial fossil companies, the biggest issue--and the one that IS restricted on the DML--is linking to items that are involved in on-going commercial sales of fossils. For example, there was a recent online auction for a Stegosaurus that I did not mention. The Stegosaurus skeleton did not sell, and the failed auction was later discussed in a news story about the apparent collapse of the dinosaur market bubble, which I did link to. I also not link to recent news stories about a Hypacrosaurus skeleton and other other fossils that were sold off at auction by a museum at a zoo in the Netherlands. The skeleton in this case was bought (I'm not sure by whom at this point).

Stories that mention commercial outfits that excavate or prepare fossils would generally be OK for the DML as I understand the restrictions. It is only the actual sale, and providing links to a sale, that would be off limits. This DOES not mean that mentioning commercial excavations (which may NOT be conducted according to rigorous scientific standards or by fully qualified people) is the same as an endorsement.  Note that some museums have worked with commercial fossil outfits to conduct excavations and do preparation. The museums then buy the specimens. In other cases, museums have purchased specimens excavated and/or prepared by commercial outfits.

The sauropod from Montana is being excavated by a commercial outfit that allows people to pay to participate in the digs. Because this dig was mentioned in a publicly broadcast news story, I posted the item on the DML. However, posting this story has upset some people because of issues with the individuals involved with the company. I don't know all the background and thought the discovery of a giant  Jurassic sauropod in Montana was of interest in itself. I was not trying to promote or endorse the company or the individuals involved in the excavation or associated with the company.