Re: Carnotaurus scaly skin myths

This is what John's been trying to send:

"Describing the idea that Carnotaurus had pebbly skin as a "myth"
strikes me as understating the amount of evidence for scales or
otherwise pebbly integument in that genus. Carnotaurus' skin includes
four "fragments", of which the only figured specimen is 15-20 cm
across, and a large patch that accounts for most of the right side of
a 40-cm-long part of the anterior tail. Of these, the fragments of
skin from near the scapular glenoid and the mid-proximal region of the
ribs are the only ones that show we had something with a scaly body
(rather than merely a bald head or Kulindadromeus-like scaly tail). We
can't rule out a "cape" of feathers on the back, or
Psittacosaurus-like quills, but overall Carnotaurus would have had
pebbly skin. Moreover, it wouldn't be the only case of a dinosaur
trading in fuzz for scales, if the most recent common ancestor of
Ornithodira did in fact bear a largely filamentous body covering.
After all, ceratopsians, hadrosaurs, thyreophorans, and sauropods also
had scaly bodies.

However, Carnotaurus is the only known ceratosaur with informative
integument preservation, so Bonadonna's illustration of a
thickly-feathered abelisaur isn't actually violating the phylogenetic
bracket. It definitely depicts something more feathered than
Carnotaurus would have been, though."

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 10:14 PM, John D'Angelo
<assuming.dinosaur@gmail.com> wrote:
> *         ---REMAINDER OF MESSAGE TRUNCATED---            *
> *     This post contains a forbidden message format       *
> *  (such as an attached file, a v-card, HTML formatting)  *
> *    This Mail List at USC.EDU only accepts PLAIN TEXT    *
> * If your postings display this message your mail program *
> * is not set to send PLAIN TEXT ONLY and needs adjusting  *

Margaret Dickson
University of Illinois at Chicago
Department of Biological Sciences
Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology
PhD Candidate