Re: Dilophosaurus Forelimb Bone Maladies

On 3/3/2016 3:39 PM, Dann Pigdon wrote:

> I often wonder whether sauropods ever dared to drink water directly from rivers or waterbodies, given > the size of some of the crocodilians about during the Mesozoic. A drinking sauropod would seem to > present an easily killed target if it presented its head in a convenient position to be swiftly > decapitated. Perhaps there's a reason why we find so many headless sauropod fossils. :-)

Might that depend on how firmly attached it is. Consider

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__&d=CwIC-g&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=x82f3Wlkwtmbr1z8IAt9jA&m=l2VGN1PDJ-qF-qxLpvBSf_e1GmOxAEubqORd-GJXyuk&s=fFq0kf3GyN3WUSNXHH1hByuX7rCj9X8gxvRqqcxSSSo&e=
      www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVAMnirC72c
Crocodile Attacks Elephant at Watering Hole

The trunk has no bone, yet the trunk tip did not come off. Some interesting mechanics here as the elephant also thrashed and partially lifted the croc out of the water.

Would similar behavior break a sauropod's neck, or sever it?