Re: Dilophosaurus Forelimb Bone Maladies

On Mon, Mar 7th, 2016 at 11:00 AM, "Richard W. Travsky" <rtravsky@uwyo.edu>
wrote:

> On 3/3/2016 3:39 PM, Dann Pigdon wrote:
>  > I often wonder whether sauropods ever dared to drink
> water directly from rivers or waterbodies, given
>  > the size of some of the crocodilians about during the
> Mesozoic. A drinking sauropod would seem to
>  > present an easily killed target if it presented its head
> in a convenient position to be swiftly
>  > decapitated. Perhaps there's a reason why we find so many
> headless sauropod fossils. :-)
>
> Might that depend on how firmly attached it is. Consider
> www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVAMnirC72c
> Crocodile Attacks Elephant at Watering Hole
>
> The trunk has no bone, yet the trunk tip did not come off.
> Some interesting mechanics here as the elephant also
> thrashed and partially lifted the croc out of the water.
>
> Would similar behavior break a sauropod's neck, or sever it?

If something the size of Deinosuchus was involved, I wouldn't rule out
decapitation. Especially if a
death-roll was immediately executed.

Even if a smaller crocodilian ('smaller' relative to Deinosuchus, that is) was
to grab at a sauropod's
head, damage to the eyes or brain could very well have inconvenienced the
animal (to say the least)
without the need for complete decapitation. Elephants have the advantage of not
having their eyes or
brains at the tips of their trunks.

Dann Pigdon
Melbourne, Australia
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__home.alphalink.com.au_-7Edannj&d=CwIDAw&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=x82f3Wlkwtmbr1z8IAt9jA&m=1OGEBnwQo219QfQPcbaATdQY2S3CUP4WGvq2Rw2Nu4s&s=-8ulgE9q5V5ILBiTK3lLXAdP9bvZ5cN3Loo_f2ql05c&e=