Hesperornis lumgairi, new species from Manitoba, Canada

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A new paper:

Keiichi Aotsuka & Tamaki Sato (2016)
Hesperornithiformes (Aves: Ornithurae) from the Upper Cretaceous
Pierre Shale, Southern Manitoba, Canada.
Cretaceous Research (advance online publication)
doi:10.1016/j.cretres.2016.03.003
http: // www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195667116300337

Highlights

Hesperornithiformes specimens have been collected from Pierre Shale in Manitoba.
We recognized six species of two genera of Hesperornithiformes.
The diversification of Hesperornithiformes was relatively high in Manitoba.

Abstract

A historical collection of hesperornithiform fossils from the Gammon
Ferruginous, Pembina, and Millwood members of the Pierre Shale
(Campanian, Upper Cretaceous) in southern Manitoba, Canada, was
examined to revise their taxonomy. Only two species of Hesperornis
have been recognized in previous studies on the Pierre Shale in
Manitoba, but our study recognizes six species of two genera,
including H. lumgairi sp. nov.. H. regalis is the most common species
but absent in the uppermost unit within the studied sequence. The
result of this study supports the paleobiogeographic subdivision of
the Campanian vertebrate fauna within the Western Interior Seaway, but
not the faunal boundary that distinguishes the avian fauna of Manitoba
from that of South Dakota and Kansas.