 Oggetto: [dinosaur] Titanosaur Tapuiasaurus skull
 A: dinosaur-l@usc.edu
 Data: Venerdì 29 Aprile 2016, 23:52

 Ben Creislerbcreisler@gmail.com

 A new paper (right after Sarmientosaurus skull
 description):
 Jeffrey A. Wilson, Diego Pol, Alberto B.
 Carvalho  and Hussam Zaher (2016)The skull of
 the titanosaur Tapuiasaurus macedoi (Dinosauria: Sauropoda),
 a basal titanosaur from the Lower Cretaceous of
 Brazil.Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society
 (advance online publication)DOI:

10.1111/zoj.12420https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__onlinelibrary.wiley.com_doi_10.1111_zoj.12420_abstract&d=DQIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=Ry_mO4IFaUmGof_Yl9MyZgecRCKHn5g4z1CYJgFW9SI&m=3-iYtkTr4NSbfPZ-78MeRvL7MKHKd0T6KwjsmuDe3HE&s=D8mMQmzrPjdebzH82RcxHaRFioXTk4HX8Z-WWImPdi4&e=

 Although Titanosauria is the most diverse and
 late-surviving sauropod lineage, cranial elements are known
 for just over 24 of its 70+ genera – the vast majority of
 which are fairly fragmentary and restricted to the Late
 Cretaceous. Only three complete titanosaur skulls have been
 described to date; two of these are from the latest
 Cretaceous (Nemegtosaurus, Rapetosaurus), and the third,
 Tapuiasaurus, is from the Early Cretaceous (Aptian). In this
 contribution, we build on the initial treatment of the taxon
 by providing a complete description of the cranial elements
 that benefits from additional preparation and computed
 tomography imaging. We identify six additional features
 diagnosing Tapuiasaurus macedoi, including a jugal with an
 elongate lacrimal process forming much of the posteroventral
 border of the antorbital fenestra, a lateral temporal
 fenestra divided by a second squamosal–postorbital
 contact, and upper jaw teeth with labial wear facets. We
 directed the new morphological data in Tapuiasaurus as well
 as other observations towards a re-analysis of its
 phylogenetic position within Titanosauria. Our analysis
 yielded 34 most parsimonious trees, most of which recovered
 Tapuiasaurus in a basal position adjacent to the Early
 Cretaceous taxa Malawisaurus and Tangvayosaurus, but two
 trees recovered it within Late Cretaceous nemegtosaurids. We
 explored the effects of missing data and missing
 stratigraphic ranges on our results, concluding that (1)
 when missing data levels are high, resolution of even small
 amounts of that missing data can have dramatic effects on
 topology, (2) taxa that are mostly scored for characters
 that cannot be scored in other taxa may be topologically
 unstable and (3) there were several suboptimal trees that
 had greatly improved stratigraphic fit with relatively
 little compromise in terms of tree
 length.