[dinosaur] New Chinese sauropod? + pterosaur takeoffs + Chicxulub crater + Welsh plesiosaur + more

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

Some recent items:

A reminder--it's National Fossil Day!

http://nature.nps.gov/geology/nationalfossilday/

==

The Institute of Vertebrate Paleontology at Gansu Agricultural University held a formal naming ceremony for a new dinosaur, apparently a Jurassic sauropod (according to the photo).  The Chinese name translates as "Mr. Sheng's Tongsheng dragon," in honor of  university rector Sheng Tongsheng.  In Latinized form this could be something like "Tongshenglong shengi" or "Tongshengsaurus shengi"--I found the names "Tongshenglong shengi" and "Nongdalong gansuensis" in Google preview of an online document in Chinese that I can't access, so I assume these are forthcoming new dinosaurs not yet formally published and described. (in Chinese)

http://www.uua.cn/show-8-7725-1.html

http://news.gsau.edu.cn/info/1037/32557.htm

===

Accessing specimens in private museums such as the Sauriermusuem Aathal in Switzerland

https://svpow.com/2016/10/11/is-it-time-to-rethink-the-privatepublic-distinctions-for-museums/

===

Research project to study pterosaur gigantism and quadrupedal launch to get airborne

http://nercgw4plus.ac.uk/project/pterosaur-gigantism-and-the-quadrupedal-launch-how-did-the-largest-airborne-animals-get-off-the-ground/

===

Chicxulub  dinosaur crater investigation begins in earnest

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37625348

==

Did Plant-Eating Dinosaurs Really Only Eat Plants?

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/10/did-plant-eating-dinosaurs-really-only-eat-plants/503816/

===

Amateur paleontologist spends two years gluing Welsh plesiosaur fossil back together after smashing it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/12/amateur-paleontologist-spends-two-years-gluing-giant-plesiosaur/

==

Devonian tetrapod fossil  found in Pennsylvania

http://bucknell.edu/news-and-media/2016/october/newly-discovered-fossils-help-bucknell-professor-shed-light-on-area%E2%80%99s-prehistoric-past.html