Re: [dinosaur] Smilodon and dire wolf injuries + shared genes favor crocodiles and turtles as sister lineages

> Finally, we offer one detailed example of such an evaluation for the
> controversy
> regarding the earliest-branching metazoan phylum, for which examination of
> the distributions of gene-wise and site-wise phylogenetic signal across eight
> data matrices consistently supports ctenophores as the sister group to all
> other metazoans.

... coming out less than a month after this:

Simion P, Philippe H, Baurain D, Jager M, Richter DJ, Di Franco A,
Roure B, Satoh N, Quéinnec É, Ereskovsky A, Lapébie P, Corre E, Delsuc
F, King N, Wörheide G, Manuel M 2017 A large and consistent
phylogenomic dataset supports sponges as the sister group to all other
animals. Curr Biol 27: 958--67
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__dx.doi.org_10.1016_j.cub.2017.02.031&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=Ry_mO4IFaUmGof_Yl9MyZgecRCKHn5g4z1CYJgFW9SI&m=MqHdPw9PKFB8VDaMP4FjpdqNRxeGD1Jb3tzfl2XYbuU&s=Xkks4qsGLlAYvP3MLau_MKAgdV0_qfQo808_fwHz6yk&e=

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

--
David Černý