Re: [dinosaur] Smilodon and dire wolf injuries + shared genes favor crocodiles and turtles as sister lineages

Simion et al also recover a monophyletic Porifera, which is also a point of contention (unless something has changed over the past few years)

From: dinosaur-l-request@usc.edu <dinosaur-l-request@usc.edu> on behalf of David Černý <david.cerny1@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2017 3:53 PM
To: dinosaur-l@usc.edu
Subject: Re: [dinosaur] Smilodon and dire wolf injuries + shared genes favor crocodiles and turtles as sister lineages

> Finally, we offer one detailed example of such an evaluation for the controversy
> regarding the earliest-branching metazoan phylum, for which examination of
> the distributions of gene-wise and site-wise phylogenetic signal across eight
> data matrices consistently supports ctenophores as the sister group to all
> other metazoans.

... coming out less than a month after this:

Simion P, Philippe H, Baurain D, Jager M, Richter DJ, Di Franco A,
Roure B, Satoh N, Quéinnec É, Ereskovsky A, Lapébie P, Corre E, Delsuc
F, King N, Wörheide G, Manuel M 2017 A large and consistent
phylogenomic dataset supports sponges as the sister group to all other
animals. Curr Biol 27: 958--67
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__dx.doi.org_10.1016_j.cub.2017.02.031&d=DwIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=Ry_mO4IFaUmGof_Yl9MyZgecRCKHn5g4z1CYJgFW9SI&m=MqHdPw9PKFB8VDaMP4FjpdqNRxeGD1Jb3tzfl2XYbuU&s=Xkks4qsGLlAYvP3MLau_MKAgdV0_qfQo808_fwHz6yk&e=

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

--
David Černý