Re: [dinosaur] Smilodon and dire wolf injuries + shared genes favor crocodiles and birds as sister lineages

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

Apologies. Thanks for catching this error.

I had not read the paper itself yet and copied the passage from the news story that was  based on a press release by Vanderbilt University. Apparently, it has now been corrected in the press release and the phys.org version:

This is what I found when I checked Google with the wording I quoted yesterday:

Forget sponges: the earliest animals were marine jellies | Research ...
https://news.vanderbilt.edu/.../forget-sponges-the-earliest-animals-were-marine-jellies/
1 day ago - They found that 74 percent of the shared genes favor the hypothesis that crocodiles and turtles are sister lineages while birds are close cousins ...

To set the record straight,here's what the current (corrected) press release says (now in line with Nick Gardner) :

"Another contentious relationship the researchers addressed was whether crocodiles are more closely related to birds or turtles. They found that 74 percent of the shared genes favor the hypothesis that crocodiles and birds are sister lineages while turtles are close cousins."

https://news.vanderbilt.edu/2017/04/10/forget-sponges-the-earliest-animals-were-marine-jellies/

****