Re: [dinosaur] Main goals in future dinosaur paleontology

On Thu, Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:28 PM, "Yazbeck, Thomas Michael" <yazbeckt@msu.edu>
wrote:

> What do you mean by 'scanning tech'? You mean like CAT scans? Because that
> has already been providing us reams of data, for sure.

As scanning resolution gets finer, digital data will get a lot bigger.
Synchrotron X-ray imaging yields
much higher resolutions than CT scans, for instance, and as imaging technology
allows for larger and
larger specimens to be scanned, the size of the resulting digital data will
increase dramatically.
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.auntminnie.com_index.aspx-3Fsec-3Dser-26sub-3Ddef-26pag-3Ddis-26ItemID-3D96554&d=DwIDAw&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=Ry_mO4IFaUmGof_Yl9MyZgecRCKHn5g4z1CYJgFW9SI&m=eLvqRDuAyzRe4kaiscgI0NYCU6XNj5k36YOCA_k2UTc&s=sB2mHxTHc8P0L74OlIcoVdVX70nrErs-XzkHTc0b0oI&e=

Not to mention other scanning technologies, like using LiDAR to map trackways.
With drone-mounted
rigs becoming possible in recent years (and becoming cheap enough for just
about anyone to use), larger
and larger areas will be scanned at increasingly higher resolutions.
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.gisresources.com_mapping-2Daustralians-2Ddinosaurs-2Dlandscape-2Dusing-2Dlidar-2Dand-2Ddrones&d=DwIDAw&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=Ry_mO4IFaUmGof_Yl9MyZgecRCKHn5g4z1CYJgFW9SI&m=eLvqRDuAyzRe4kaiscgI0NYCU6XNj5k36YOCA_k2UTc&s=4oFJa7w4lnC58K3hsZdE1hK2jxGXz8WmZEZAfGv22XQ&e=

In the past, many museums have collected physical specimens faster than they
can be prepared and
studied, resulting in years of backlog material gathering dust. As gathering
large amounts of digital data
becomes cheaper and easier we might end up with the digital version of that
scenario, where digital data
is gathered faster than it can be processed by human operators. Automated data
mining algorithms might
become necessary to keep up.

 Dann Pigdon
 GIS Officer