Re: [dinosaur] Main goals in future dinosaur paleontology

On 04/11/2017 05:21 PM, Yazbeck, Thomas Michael wrote:
> The main goals are whatever dino workers want to study. With any new
> discovery, there are bound to be many questions about a new taxon or
> specimen. I would say that one thing that is less often discussed is
> expanding geographic coverage for dinosaurs. There are many dinosaur-bearing
> rocks in countries which have not been explored in detail by scientists. In
> some cases this is due to political considerations, or financial or legal
> constraints. I just heard of some dinosaur material recently found in Iran, a
> country that is hard (for American scientists, at least) to get access too.
> But nearby in the Levant are some places which probably are hiding some
> dinosaurs - I just read of a Lebanese pterosaur, which is exciting because
> Lebanon is known for other excellent fossils from the Cretaceous (multiple
> Lagerstaetten, in fact). Israel and Jordan are also in the same boat, with
> (off the top of my head) dinosaur footprints and pterosaur postcrania found
> in those countries, respectively. Africa is also a huge, huge continent which
> is hiding way, way more dinosaurs than the aforementioned countries. Late
> Late Cretaceous continental Africa is a major gap in our understanding of
> dinosaurs, and that is beginning to be filled since a new Maastrichtian
> abelisaurid was discovered this year in Morocco. Find out all you can about
> countries on the map with <2 named dinosaur species.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Thomas Yazbeck
>
> ________________________________

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.jpost.com_Israel-2DNews_Israeli-2Dgeologists-2Dfind-2Dunprecedented-2D85-2Dmillion-2Dyear-2Dold-2Dreptile-2Dremains-2D390633&d=DwIG-g&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=JMxjjbIZXCWilersPs1bzRx-3mUwTiQUzlyzWk7v7k4&m=k1rm6DkuCpn1OYOmcvCYry1J7HppUyYXtC8rxh9nXMA&s=H9wogpn0UbcKWP84zSq5StP4n90RrANrDVea9Fuz9ks&e=

I don't think there is any problem working in Israel, but I think it is
mostly been under the sea.  It is hard not to be struck by the seemingly
similarity between the rock about Tzfat and the formations about
Dinosaur Provincial Park in Alberta look so much like Israel that
Israeli's always asume that these photos have been taken in the Judean
Hills.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__images.mrbrklyn.com_2017-5F03-5Froyal-5Ftyrell-5Fdrumheller_IMG-5F1750.JPG-3Fwidth-3D2272&d=DwIG-g&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=JMxjjbIZXCWilersPs1bzRx-3mUwTiQUzlyzWk7v7k4&m=k1rm6DkuCpn1OYOmcvCYry1J7HppUyYXtC8rxh9nXMA&s=C8Nyg7AH5Oj7c_5DYE2zHq5-a_Igb61IPdhqSFMuPSg&e=

I did find shells about Meron when hiking.

This is about the Gallalie
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__images.mrbrklyn.com_israel-5F01-5F2016_IMG-5F6401.JPG-3Fwidth-3D1024&d=DwIG-g&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=JMxjjbIZXCWilersPs1bzRx-3mUwTiQUzlyzWk7v7k4&m=k1rm6DkuCpn1OYOmcvCYry1J7HppUyYXtC8rxh9nXMA&s=sHOfASM_dCaduuiHsx5EStE6UVZS-A9QZ-N4oZTrB_Q&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__images.mrbrklyn.com_israel-5F01-5F2016_IMG-5F6181.JPG&d=DwIG-g&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=JMxjjbIZXCWilersPs1bzRx-3mUwTiQUzlyzWk7v7k4&m=k1rm6DkuCpn1OYOmcvCYry1J7HppUyYXtC8rxh9nXMA&s=ctOxfmb_OhLBqVJsXjepTp-BUgXQ8UAzduVRyObajGY&e=

Jeruslaem
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__images.mrbrklyn.com_israel-5F2012_DSC07439.JPG&d=DwIG-g&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=JMxjjbIZXCWilersPs1bzRx-3mUwTiQUzlyzWk7v7k4&m=k1rm6DkuCpn1OYOmcvCYry1J7HppUyYXtC8rxh9nXMA&s=a3Wz_llaZfGhyLKE1-Xzkd3khuyIFrU09vZiFLAZhqA&e=

I've got more of the area about Hebron and Massada, but you get the
point.  You would think this might be excellent fossil hunting grounds.

In Egypt they found whales, which is quite famous.  They have had the
protection of a despot government to keep things stable for work to be
done.