Re: [dinosaur] Tsintaosaurus, Tanius, and other dinosaurs from Laiyang, Shandong Province, China (free pdf)

Among these "other dinosaurs" is a new genus and species of
saurolophine hadrosaurine, named in honor of C.C.Young (Yang
Zhongjian).  Technically this new hadrosaurid is still a nomen nudum,
because the paper describing the new taxon (Zhang et al., 2017) is
still "in press";  so I won't mention the name of this new Laiyang
hadrosaur here.

This review of Laiyang dinosaurs also includes another foray in the
'crest/not-a-crest' debate about the tubular 'spike'-like element
assigned to _Tsintaosaurus_.  Zhang et al. claim it's not a crest,
because the CT scan reveal it to be solid (not hollow) and fractured
at the base; and they even doubt it belongs to _Tsintaosaurus_ (at
least that's how I read their comments).  However, Prieto-Marquez and
Wagner (2011; doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0082268) regarded this tubular
element as merely the posterior (caudal) part of a much larger and
more elaborate crest.  They interpreted this element as fused nasal
processes that (with the adjacent prefrontals) formed a supportive
strut at the rear of a tall, lobate crest that began anteriorly
(rostrally) at the premaxillae.  Thus, according to Prieto-Marquez and
Wagner's interpretation, the entire cranial crest of _Tsintaosaurus_
would have been hollow; but this interpretation is not dependent on
the nasal tubular processes being hollow.  (The hollow 'spike' was
Yang's original interpretation, with the hollow interior forming the
nasal passage).  Although Zhang et al. contradict Yang's
interpretation of the crest being a hollow tubular 'spike', the CT
data doesn't necessarily contradict Prieto-Marquez and Wagner's
interpretation of a more elaborate crest (with most of it missing).