Re: [dinosaur] Latenivenatrix, new troodontid from Dinosaur Park Formation, Alberta (validity of Troodon)

A valid point. Which is why--like it or not--the ACTUAL practice in taxonomy is "common usage within the field", not the letter of the law.

That said, had Russell not made the case for "Tyrannosauridae" back in 1970, Deinodontidae might well still be used. It was certainly being used by many prominent paleontologists around the world in the early 20th Century (such as Matthew and Brown) and by Russians even into the early 1970s.

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Matt Martyniuk <martyniuk@gmail.com> wrote:
Keep in mind, if that were the standard, Titanosauridae would be a nomen dubium but e.g. Deinodontidae wouldn't (unless you elevated Tyrannosaurinae and Albertosaurinae to "family" rank). The situation with Deinodontidae is a nearly exact parallel to Troodontidae. It would be hard to think of a single standard that would uphold one while rejecting the other, except using priority of definition/only recognizing taxa defined as clades.

Matt Martyniuk

--

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu         Phone: 301-405-4084

Office: Geology 4106, 8000 Regents Dr., College Park MD 20742

http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/

Phone: 301-405-6965
Fax: 301-314-9661

Office: Centreville 1216, 4243 Valley Dr., College Park MD 20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/sgc
Fax: 301-314-9843

Mailing Address:        Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                        Department of Geology
                        Building 237, Room 1117

                        8000 Regents Drive
                        University of Maryland