Re: [dinosaur] Latenivenatrix, new troodontid from Dinosaur Park Formation, Alberta (validity of Troodon)

I wrote:

>> And I think THIS is the actual inspiration for Lambert, although perhaps
>> Galton's was.
>

> I suspect more Lambert's than Galton's.  I mentioned Galton (1983)
> because AFAIK this was the first mention (albeit only in passing) in
> the scientific literature of a proposed _Troodon_-hypsilophodont
> connection.

For anyone curious (including those who contacted me off-list), here
is the exact quote from Galton (1983) that refers to _Troodon_ as a
"carnivorous ornithopod".

"5. Other species of _Laosaurus_.

For completeness it should be noted that a couple of species are
now referred to other genera. _Laosaurus altus_ Marsh 1878b is the
type species of _Dryosaurus_ Marsh 1894. _L . minimus_ Gilmore
1924 is based on a partial left hind limb from the Upper
Cretaceous of Alberta, Canada. However, recently collected
material from the Upper Cretaceous of Montana, U.S.A.
indicates that this species should be referred to the carnivorous
ornithopod _Troodon_ (J . Horner, personal communication)."

Galton's comment (which cites John Horner's unpublished work) could be
said to accord with the entry in Lambert's popular dinosaur book,
published in the same year, in which the caption for the illustration
of _Troodon_ states: "An ornithopod oddity. In fact, as shown here,
_Troodon_ may have been a small, flesh-eating ornithopod related to
the hypsilophodontids. Proof is a supposed hypsilophodontid thigh bone
now known to have been _Troodon_'s."

As Tom says, subsequent work resolved which Egg Mountain material
(eggs, teeth, skeletal material from embryoes and juveniles) belonged
to a theropod (_Troodon_) and which belonged to a new ornithopod
(_Orodromeus_ - Horner & Weishampel, 1988).  _Laosaurus minimus_ is
now considered a nomen dubium.