[dinosaur] Dinosaur specimen from Upper Triassic Chinle Formation in Utah (free pdf)

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A new paper with free pdf:

Xavier A. Jenkins, John R. Foster & Robert J. Gay (2017)
First unambiguous dinosaur specimen from the Upper Triassic Chinle formation in Utah.
Geology of the Intermountain West 4: 231-242
ISSN 2380-7601Â
https://www.utahgeology.org/openjournal/index.php/GIW/article/view/22

Triassic dinosaurs represent relatively rare but important components of terrestrial faunas across Pangea. Whereas this record has been well studied at various locales across the American West, there has been no previous systematic review of Triassic material assigned to Dinosauria from Utah. Here, we critically examine the published body fossil and footprint record of Triassic dinosaurs from Utah and revise their record from the state. In addition, we describe a sacrum from a locality within the Upper Triassic Chinle Formation of southeastern Utah. This specimen represents the only unambiguous Triassic dinosaur body fossil from Utah. MWC 5627 falls within the range of variation known for sacrum morphology from Coelophysis bauri. Based on a literature review and examination of specimens available to us, we restrict the Triassic Utah dinosaurian record to Theropoda from the Chinle Formation. Preliminary reports of Triassic dinosaurs from other clades and formations in Utah are unsubstantiated.