[dinosaur] Lower Cretaceous avian tracks from Jiangsu Province, China

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

Lida Xing, Lisa G. Buckley, Martin G. Lockley, Richard T. McCrea & Yonggang Tang (2017)
Lower Cretaceous avian tracks from Jiangsu Province, China: A first Chinese report for ichnogenus Goseongornipes (Ignotornidae).
Cretaceous Research (advance online publication)
doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cretres.2017.12.016
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195667117303592

The Ignotornidae had a global distribution during the Cretaceous (Aptian â Cenomanian), but reports have been limited to North America, and localities in South Korea. Until recently, despite the high diversity of Ignotornidae described from Asia, no ichnospecies of Ignotornidae have been described from China. Here we report the first occurrence of Ignotornidae from the Lower Cretaceous of Donghai County, Jiangsu Province, China. Morphological and multivariate statistical analyses demonstrate that these functionally tetradactyl, semi-palmate bird tracks are most similar to Goseongornipes ichnosp. The apparent limited paleogeographical distribution of Ignotornidae from the Lower Cretaceous is likely artificial, and more exploration and documentation of Lower Cretaceous strata will increase our understanding of the extent of the global distribution of Ignotornidae.