Re: [dinosaur] Which dinosaurs were feathered

Hello Poekilopleuron,

This is really exciting, and a great question.

To me, there are really two contrasting pieces if evidence. Primarily, you have the Kulindadromeus find which suggests feathers as a basal trait if dinosauria (or twice evolved if you are of that camp). On the flip side you have the abundance of dinosaur fossils found without evidence of feathers.

My best educated guess would say that most theropods probably had feather integument in varying degrees. I would also hypothesize that feathers were less useful to the large bodied herbivorous dinosaurs for the most part, and they would either be lost early in those clades, or retained as a juvenile only trait.

Unfortunately those are just slightly evidenced conjecture. As far as Im aware, we do not have the evidence to point strongly either way.

- Nickolas A. Brand