[dinosaur] Iguanodon galvensis from Spain: new systematic and phylogenetic data

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A new paper:

Francisco Javier Verdú, Rafael Royo-Torres, Alberto Cobos & Luis Alcalá (2017)
New systematic and phylogenetic data about the early Barremian Iguanodon galvensis (Ornithopoda: Iguanodontoidea) from Spain.
Historical Biology (advance online publication)
doi:  http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08912963.2017.1287179
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/08912963.2017.1287179

Iguanodon galvensis is the second valid species in the European and Barremian large-ornithopod genus Iguanodon. In the present work, the I. galvensis holotype and referred material from the lower Barremian of Spain are described and discussed in detail. As a result, emended diagnoses of Iguanodon, I. galvensis and I. bernissartensis are proposed; I. galvensis can now be identified by three autapomorphies in the dentary, ischium and femur as well as a unique combination of characters. Moreover, I. galvensis is compared with other European Early Cretaceous large styracosternans. Finally, a new phylogenetic hypothesis is proposed that resolves Iguanodon (I. bernissartensis, I. galvensis) with the Valanginian Barilium dawsoni into a monophyletic clade (Iguanodontoidea).