[dinosaur] Dinosaur skin + too many dinosaurs in museums? + new cynodont from Brazil + more

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

Some recent items:

Dinosaur skin

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/skin-deep-dinosaur-scales-provide-clues-of-the-past-1.4160292

==

Canadian paleontologist names new dinosaur species after mother

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/university-of-alberta-dinosaur-aaron-van-der-reest-1.4161251

===

More on BC tyrannosaur fossil

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/chiropractor-on-holiday-discovers-b-c-s-first-dinosaur-skull-1.4158748

===

Australovenator foot

https://cosmosmagazine.com/palaeontology/dinosaur-foot-reconstruction-fuels-cretaceous-footprint-debate

==

Do fossil exhibits have too many dinosaurs?

https://extinctmonsters.net/2017/06/14/do-fossil-exhibits-have-too-many-dinosaurs/

===

Aleodon cromptoni, new Triassic cynodont found in Brazil (in Portuguese)

https://www.publico.pt/2017/06/14/ciencia/noticia/ha-uma-nova-especie-de-reptil-extinta-no-brasil-1775728

Also:

https://phys.org/news/2017-06-brazilian-carnivorous-mammal-like-reptile-fossil.html

====

Interview with Jorge Calvo about dinosaurs from Patagonia (in Spanish)

http://www.aimdigital.com.ar/2017/06/12/hay-dinosaurios-en-la-patagonia/

===

A new article ref...

Will Tattersdill (2017)
Work on the Victorian dinosaur: Histories and prehistories of 19th-century palaeontology.
LITERATURE COMPASS 14(6), June 2017,
DOI: 10.1111/lic3.12394
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/lic3.12394/abstract

*I am grateful to Richard Butler, of the University of Birmingham's School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences, for fact-checking some of the modern scientific information I present in this article. Any remaining mistakes, of course, are my own.

Abstract

In recent studies of Victorian Literature and Science, valuable insights into the history and discursive constitutions of geology, palaeontology, and evolution have often shone a sidelight on the figure of the dinosaur. Few, though, have engaged head-on with the dinosaur itself as a conceptual category. In discussing why, this article aims to provide the reader with a reading list by which they may themselves begin to explore the Victorian dinosaur—as well as a possible justification for so doing.

=======

Junior Paleontologists at Petrified Forest National Park

https://www.nps.gov/articles/100000th-junior-paleontologist.htm

====

Dinosaur science comic up for 2017 Eisner award (story makes Owen into the villain...)

http://www.comicsbeat.com/eisner-watch-2017-science-comics-dinosaurs/

======

Dvinopark opens in Kotlas in the Arkhangelsk region of Russia with life-size sculptures to showcase Permian therapsids and other creatures found by Vladimir Amalitsky in the region more than 100 years ago (not the most realistic renditions but kids will like them....)

https://www.rbth.com/news/2017/06/13/ancient-animals-park-opens-in-russian-north_781620

http://tass.ru/obschestvo/4328145

Video (in Russian)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITK8Hto8QWY